The Munch & Move program offers free professional development on healthy menu planning to services cooks working in NSW early childhood education and care (ECEC) services. The training is also suitable for service leaders involved in menu planning. Please contact your local Munch & Move Support Officer for details on local workshops and webinars.
Healthy Menu Planning professional development is based on the NSW Health Caring for Children: Birth to 5 years (Food, Nutrition and Learning Experiences) resource.
The training includes the following topics:
- Why healthy eating is important for children
- The Australian Dietary Guidelines for children aged 0 to 5 years old
- The ECEC services requirements under the National Quality Framework
- Planning menus based on the Caring for Children guidelines
- Modifying recipes to make them healthier
- Reading and understanding food labels
- Managing challenges such as food costs, fussy eaters, food intolerances and allergies
- This training is primarily designed for service cooks.
- A director or service leader involved in menu planning is encouraged to attend to support service cooks to implement healthy menu changes.
- This training is only available to NSW centre-based services that provide main meals.
- To register, services must also be trained in the Munch & Move program. If your service is interested in becoming trained in the Munch & Move program, please visit the Training Information page.