The Munch & Move program offers free training in healthy menu planning for cooks and directors/nominated supervisors working in early childhood education and care (ECEC) centre-based services across NSW. The workshops are based on the Caring for Children: Birth to 5 years (Food, Nutrition and Learning Experiences) resource and include activities on menu planning, recipe modifications and label reading.
Three (3) hour face-to-face training workshops are being delivered in various locations across NSW. The training is delivered by the Early Childhood Training and Resource Centre (ECTARC), who are a registered training organisation that specialise in early childhood training and professional development. ECTARC have been involved with providing Munch & Move training since 2008.
Included workshop topics
The workshops are based on the Caring for Children: Birth to 5 years (Food, Nutrition and Learning Experiences) resource and cover the following topics:
- Why healthy eating is important for children
- The Australian Dietary Guidelines and the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating, including the five food groups, serve sizes for children and discretionary foods
- The ECEC services requirements under the National Quality Framework
- Modifying recipes to make them healthier
- Reading food labels
- Managing challenges such as food costs, fussy eaters, food intolerances and allergies
- The workshops are only available to services that are trained in Munch & Move. If your service is interested in becoming trained in the program, please see our information about the Munch & Move program training.
- Workshop registrations are open to cooks and their director/nominated
supervisor working in centre-based services (family day coordinators are
not eligible to attend these workshops). A maximum of two participants per
service can attend.
- Participants are only permitted to register for a workshop that is being held
in the same Local Health District as their service. To register for a workshop,
please contact your Local Health District here.
In response to the Covid-19 (Coronavirus) situation in New South Wales, the NSW Office of Preventive Health (NSW OPH) postponed all Munch & Move Healthy Menu Planning workshops scheduled between March to June 2020. The NSW OPH will endeavour to reschedule these workshops at a later date. If you have any further questions about COVID-19, please visit the NSW Health Coronavirus information page.
This page will be updated if additional workshops become available in your area.
Completing the Munch & Move Healthy Menu Planning (Cooks) Workshops will contribute 3 hours of NESA Registered PD addressing 6.2.2, 6.3.2, 7.2.2 & 7.3.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW (Course Code: HMP)